PDA

View Full Version : lions vs tigers

Ciderhelm
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I still can't figure out why people seem to think lions are special

a tiger is a solitary hunter, it's got way more survival and hunting instinct than a lion. it also has to deal with more diverse environments.

lions suck l2p

rursusferre
05-29-2007, 04:37 PM
THE argument was not lions vs tigers, Cider.

It was BEARS vs LIONS.

EPIC DISCUSSION

Ciderhelm
05-29-2007, 04:43 PM
ohhh

I remember that

bears for sure. a tiger couldn't even touch it.

people used to get so anal about that now that I remember...

rursusferre
05-29-2007, 06:49 PM
as i said before, that topic lead to a 4+ year argument.

P.S.- BEARS FOR LIFE

Xandar
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I thought we decided it depended on the type of bear.

smell
05-29-2007, 07:42 PM
it TOTALLY does depend. Some bears are smaller than others. AND is it a female bear with cubs in danger? makes a diff.

also, are we talkin female lions or male? females hunt in packs, males just fight when it's necessary. Symantics ppl

smell
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.bigcats.com/page1018756127.mv

winnar...a Ligre
http://www.sierrasafarizoo.com/images/animals/hobbs.jpg

this page has a bunch of ppls seemingly educated responses to this question (and ones including bears)
i liked this one http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict14.html

"Ever since I was a young boy the topic of a confrontation between these two formidable cats has deeply intrigued me. My personal biases have gone back and forth through the years as to who would be the victor in such a confrontation. However after reading this article, I have been somewhat enlightened, although I have heard some of the stories mentioned before. For example My father has already seen the film of the pit fight (that was organised for the Prince) while he was on vacation in the orient. This was where the Lion and tiger were placed in the pit, and the lion ended up killing the tiger. I have also heard similar stories from a Korean friend of mine, who has seen quite a bit of Korean pit fights on tape that were organized illegally between tigers and lions. When I asked him the outcome he replied that both the lion & the tiger had their fair share of wins but the lion was usually more consistent. May I add that he didn't like admitting this fact because he had a bias towards tigers...

In my personal opinion it is very difficult to determine the average result of such a confrontation. You would have to take into account factors from both animals such as age, weight, aggressiveness, subspecies type and so on. But I do think that the lion would be the usual victor, due to his combative nature. Male lions spend their lives fighting against other lions to protect the pride, it's what they live for. Tigers on the other hand spend their lives avoiding serious confrontations because they are solitary animals which need to hunt for themselves and an injury could mean death. Another obvious advantage for the lion would be his thick mane which serves both to protect and to intimidate. I will also quote a line from this article that says it all for me, this observation was made by a famous big cat tamer Clyde Beatty which had first hand experience with both cats; "Seated next to the tiger the lion is composed. The tiger does not seem to have the Lion's capacity for calm analysis & appraisal." and in another instance he says; "the lion seems to have no fear of the tiger." This tells me that the Lion is more confident. In my opinion the outcome of a confrontation between a lion and a tiger can be compared to a real life human fight between an experienced, confident, technical fighter who knows which way he's going to take the fight (the lion) and a larger more muscular but very nervous and apprehensive fighter (the tiger), which is relying on his survival instinct to win. Having said that, it is also possible that the fight could go the other way, but more often than not the more confident fighter will win.

I conclude by saying both Lions and tigers are such awesome animals, and each reigns supreme in their own domain, but at the end of the day in a fight situation there can only be one king of beasts.--Abdulla"

sorry for big post :)

arcadiandisk
05-31-2007, 02:09 PM
as i said before, that topic lead to a 4+ year argument.

P.S.- BEARS FOR LIFE

Flying Sharks.

smell
05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
discovery channel did a few CG animal fights
lion beat tiger btw (which proves discovery is lame)
gorilla vs cougar
great white vs hippo (???)
bear vs Caimen (gator type thingy)
etc

Ciderhelm
05-31-2007, 07:19 PM
I saw the lion vs tiger thing on discovery.

it was such a load of crap. they spent a full hour explaining why a tiger is better suited for hunting and why lions are better for group play

then suddenly "OH LOOK" the lion beat the tiger in 1v1. completely contradicted the entire show

smell
06-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Two reasons why tiger wins all
http://www.break.com/pictures/may16gal4.html
http://www.break.com/pictures/may16gal5.html

i mean, the face alone wins against me