PDA

View Full Version : Chalk one up for the TEAM

Fusa
11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
VIDEOGAMERS OWN!

FktsFcooIG8

Gogan
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Sadly, I think we all play too much to be grouped into this category. She talked about playing 10 hours over a 2 week period. We (me) are playing 70-80 hours each week. I can't imagine that's very good for us.

I did find it interesting when she said multimedia-taskers (people who, e.g., listen to music, surf the web, and chat with friends) were "abysmal" at actual multi-tasking. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Fusa
11-19-2012, 12:47 PM
yes she makes interesting points and also says there needs to be more study.

But I do like the part where most of those multimedia-taskers when presented with their results were dumbfounded at how bad they were.

Kz
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
good thing i dont facebook or type chat much but i do surf web constantly and listen to music :x

Gogan
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I don't facebook or IM at all but I do context switch between work and web surfing pretty often, and I also listen to music 24x7. Dunno if that makes me a "multimedia-tasker". I sometimes wonder if the constant auditory stimulation has contributed to my now (seemingly) shorter attention span and trouble falling asleep at night. Surely there's been a study on that somewhere...

Gronthor
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I was born for multi tasking. Playing video games since i was little and i was an Air Traffic Controller. I think an interesting study would be the correlation between multi tasking and ADD, as i for one suffer from that greatly.

Kz
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I sometimes wonder if the constant auditory stimulation has contributed to my now (seemingly) shorter attention span and trouble falling asleep at night. Surely there's been a study on that somewhere...

i have trouble sleeping too w/o some sort of noise, i usually sleep timer my tv for 90min and pass out and sleep soundly.

Gogan
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
i have trouble sleeping too w/o some sort of noise, i usually sleep timer my tv for 90min and pass out and sleep soundly.

Yep, I do the same. But without that tv playing, forget about it. And interestingly, I can't fall asleep at all with just music playing. Maybe I've conditioned myself to be awake if music is playing, and get sleepy if the tv is on.

Gronthor
11-19-2012, 03:29 PM
i am the opposite, i have to have absolute quiet or i will never fall asleep. Same thing if i cant shut down my mind i wont fall asleep either.