Thread: True Detectives
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Fuse Member

Just finished watching. I'm with you KZ. Thought it might've been kinda cool to have them both die at the end. I thought their conversation about light vs dark at the very end was cute though, and a really good segue into subsequent seasons and the format for the show.

Overall I'm a little confused why the world had such a hard on for this show though. Sure, the acting was good, the story was pretty good, the writing/directing/etc was all good. It's not that I didn't like it -- it was good. But damn, I would *never* classify this show as the best thing that's ever been on television. Not even close. Yet that's all I keep hearing when social media talks about it. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, BSG... all head and shoulders above True Detective. Although I freely admit murder mystery / thrillers aren't really my thing.

I really don't get why people couldn't figure out how it was gonna end after episode 7. They tell you at the end of E7 exactly who the killer is. We knew season 2 would be its own self-contained story without the same actors. So of course the storyline would resolve itself -- the killer would undoubtably be caught at the end like every other murder mystery. It would've been way more interesting and more of a twist if he didn't, but alas, he did. Hell, didn't someone even speculate it might take the supernatural / X-Files route? The ending had to be a pretty big letdown for whoever was hoping for that.

Clue me in. Am I missing something? Was this like a Lost kind of show where they sprinkled obscure clues throughout the season and people were chasing their tails trying to figure it all out? Maybe watching all 8 episodes back to back took something away from the experience? I dunno, I guess I expected more given all the hype.

Last edited by Gogan; 03-10-2014 at 11:59 PM.