Thread: GoT S4 is out
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Fuse Member

I haven't read the books so I may be speaking completely out of ignorance here, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrupp View Post
I don't think it'll ruin it, I watched the first season before reading the 1st book, so something similar may be on the horizon
The first book just presents lots of questions to the reader/watcher though. There's not much to spoil. There's a big difference between knowing about the first seventh of a story, and knowing the last seventh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusa View Post
I don't think it will ruin it, the show has already combined chars, deleted story lines, and pretty much changed the course of everything.
I think that's a pretty big exaggeration. "Everything" hasn't changed. The fundamental story arc is still very much intact. From what I've gathered the TV show is at least 75% the same as the book, and in terms of the fundamental story, I'm betting it's 95% accurate.

I wouldn't consider any of the inconsistencies you mentioned as "major". The major story arc is how the different characters/factions come together in Westeros and challenge each other for supremacy. Who are the white walkers, what is their motivation, and what impact will they have once they breach the wall? Does Daenerys reach Westeros to challenge the Lannisters as rightful heir to the throne? What role will Bran, Jon, and Arya play in all of this?

By the end of the tv show, we will no doubt have answers to all of those questions and they will likely play out very similarly to the books (or at least GRRM's vision for the books). Nobody knows how this whole story will end, but GRRM's fundamental vision will come through in the show. And that's what will be spoiled for the readers.