View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Fuse Member

If you read the book and not the short story (book isn't exactly super long, I think maybe 300 pages?). Then I'd suggest reading Ender's Shadow immediatly. I liked Ender's Shadow more than Ender's Game and there's a LOT of connections between those two books.

Like Onion already listed out - the Shadow series is pretty good, but none of them compare to Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. The other series that follows Ender, was ok but I didn't think it was all the good. Ender in Exile was pretty meh. There's a new book that came out like 6 months ago or something like that called Earth Unaware, which is co-written by OSC and details the first time the buggers invaded Earth. I haven't read that one though. If you do read the Shadow series, you can pretty much skip Shadows in Flight as it was terrible as terrible gets.

If you want to start a new series, go with the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (Book 1 is Mistborn: The Final Empire). It is the #1 series I've read. I LOVE Ender's Game, but Mistborn is crazy good. The first book is incredible, especially the ending - and you'll think wtf can happen from here really and how can it be as good. But it only gets better and better.

After that you can read other Brandon Sanderson books like Path recommended The Way of Kings (the stormlight archive series, Brandon Sanderson is working on book 2 right now). His other books I've read haven't been nearly as good as Mistborn, though. I still think about Mistborn every now and then and think about how awesome it was. I'll probably be rereading it this summer.

The other book Path recommended is really really good too. The Kingkiller Chronicles, a trilogy (book 1 is The Name of the Wind). Book 2 (The Wise Man's Fear) came out a few years ago, and book 3 has yet to be announced as Patrick Rothfuss is taking his fat ass a long time. Supposedly, the trilogy is just going to be the start and there will be a sequel trilogy or 2 after that. His writing style is a lot different from both OSC and Brandon Sanderson. If you do choose to read this one, the first 100 pages or so of Book 1 are pretty boring as he sets up A LOT of information and foreshadowing. It gets pretty damn good after a big event that you'll know right away "damn, that was huge".

Last edited by Nucholza; 04-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.