View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Fuse Member

So Tera has been pretty fun so far. Today is the last day of the head start before tomorrow's official GA. They're having extended maintenance from midnight last night until 1pm today, so this is a good time to come up for air.

I still stand by everything in my last post. But I will say healing in this game is the most fun of any mmo I've played.

All the bosses I've seen so far have mechanics that force the entire party to move around, so everyone is constantly jockeying for position. The way healing works (at least for the Mystic class) is you select the spell you want to cast and then "paint" your targets by mousing over them. If they're in range, a green mesh-type graphic will overlay on their character indicating they're locked on by your spell. You can usually do this to 2-3 players for the spell. Once you've painted your targets, you hit your spell key once more to actually cast the spell. It sounds clumsy and slow, but it's really not in practice. The result is position matters a *lot*, and you're never looking at unit frames (since a players hp bar is shown over their head). Instead, you're focused on the action just like everyone else. If a player has been debuffed, their hp bar turns from green to purple so again, I know they need a dispel without having to look at unit frames.

Tera is far from perfect and I've only seen the first 35 levels so far, but I can definitely see this action-oriented gameplay becoming more common in future MMOs.