Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Fuse Member

Mass Effect

I just started playing Mass Effect on Sunday -- never played any of the series. Once I finish that series, I think I'm gonna replay Star Wars KOTOR and KOTOR 2 -- don't think I ever finished the second one. Then I'll go back and play WC3.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Fuse Member

You will enjoy the mass effect story. Good series. Can't wait for Mass4.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Fuse Member

Finished ME1 today. Good game. Little surprised it wasn't longer. Only took 27 hours and I did all the quests I could find (only collected about half of the survey quest stuff though), including examining every planet/system I saw on the galactic map.

Just started ME2 -- game looks soooo much better! Not that I minded the look/feel of ME1 at all, but wow has it improved. Kinda wish they didn't change up all the default keybindings though.

Last edited by Gogan; 08-02-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 AM

I think ME2 is the best of the series. Enjoy!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I only ever placed 1 and 2. I thought ME2 gameplay was WAY simplified down, and not in a good way. But yea, it looks amazing compared to 1
Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Fuse Member

Finished ME2. Story wasn't quite as good as ME1 (although the loyalty missions had good stories for each character), but the overall gameplay was much more fun. I could definitely replay this game to see the other ways the story shakes out depending on decisions made. Played a solider in M1 and sniper in M2 and think I'll try a biotic in ME3.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Fuse Member

MASS EFFECT CREATOR LEAVES BIOWARE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...leaves-bioware

Sad news

Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooxra View Post
MASS EFFECT CREATOR LEAVES BIOWARE
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...leaves-bioware

Sad news
Seems to be a lot of this lately -- big names in top gaming companies leaving. Wonder if they're all just cashing in and retiring or collectively joining some new venture.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Fuse Member

Finished ME3 tonight. I'm with Grupp in thinking ME2 was the best of the series. There were things in ME3 that I really liked, but things I really disliked as well.

The idea behind the story and gameplay was a cool one -- Reapers invading the universe; need to unite the races; collect enough "war assets" until you have enough to fight them. However, the need to play multiplayer and only being able to do that with your friends list -- no matchmaking service available -- in order to max out your "readiness" rating was super lame.

I hated the numerous Citadel errand quests. I spent way too many hours in that place. Go to system X and scan planet Y for item Z, then bring it back to some person on the citadel. Far too many of them, and there was no payoff in story.

I really liked the way they incorporated all your past squad members in the story, even if they didn't join your team. Loved seeing how some had evolved since ME2, e.g. Jack and Mordin especially. The romance storyline fell really short though. Maybe it was just my choices (ME1 was Ash, ME2 was Miranda, ME3 back to Ash), but there was very little time spent on that storyline. I will say, though, that I laughed a lot at some of the characters' lines. The romance between Joker and EDI was hysterical, especially seeing it evolve to that point from ME2. Catching Garrus and Tali kissing was funny. Listening to Tali when she got drunk -- hysterical. There were lots of little one-liners throughout the game that were just really funny. Don't remember that kind of dialog in ME1 or 2.

They did a fantastic job with the environments in ME3. The opening sequence when the reapers first land on earth and you're running around the buildings outside was stunning. Getting up close and personal with the reapers throughout the game -- seeing their enormity, feeling their power as the screen shakes, hearing the War of the Worlds alien sound as they begin to fire their beam -- it was truly awesome.

However they really dropped the ball on the universe exploration. In theory, flying around uncovering assets while trying to evade the reapers seems like it would be cool. But it was more annoying and useless than anything else. That whole "scan" mechanic blew. ME1 probably did the best job with the side-mission exploration. ME2 wasn't too bad, but it was more focused on resource collecting.

I also felt like they went back to ME1's devaluing of money. I ended the game with almost 1M credits and not buying anything except for the occasional quest item from the spectre terminal that I missed from side quests. Maybe it's because I was pure biotic this time around and didn't have much need for lots of guns and mods. Even if I wanted to buy something though, you couldn't see the gun's stats until after you bought it. Useless.

I did like the new skill tree though. Having to make tradeoffs on which way to improve your skills was enjoyable. And I like that they brought back weapon mods from ME1. I kinda missed the heavy weapons from ME2 though. It was always fun fighting heavy mechs with rocket launchers.

I didn't mind the ending at all. Not sure why the internet hated it so much. The whole citadel/crucible thing was an interesting twist and I kind of liked it. I always loved the idea of man vs machine and history repeating itself (e.g. BSG). I haven't watched all of the different possible endings yet, so maybe some were bad. I didn't accumulate enough assets to get access to all possible endings -- I chose the synthesis of organic and synthetic life. The final scene with the Illusive Man was really anti-climactic though. Kinda felt like there should've been a boss fight somewhere in that last conversation. He's supposed to be this super-powered organic/synthetic guy who can now control organics (Shephard and Anderson) and reapers, but I can suddenly just kill him with a single bullet at will? Kinda lame.

Anyway, this is way too long of a review of a game series that everyone already played 5 years ago. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can certainly see why it's so high on all "best games" lists. Wish I had more time to play through it all a few more times to see the different story paths. Some day.

Last edited by Gogan; 08-11-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
I hated the numerous Citadel errand quests.
Yep

Quote:
I really liked the way they incorporated all your past squad members in the story, even if they didn't join your team. Loved seeing how some had evolved since ME2, e.g. Jack and Mordin especially. The romance storyline fell really short though. Maybe it was just my choices (ME1 was Ash, ME2 was Miranda, ME3 back to Ash), but there was very little time spent on that storyline. I will say, though, that I laughed a lot at some of the characters' lines. The romance between Joker and EDI was hysterical, especially seeing it evolve to that point from ME2. Catching Garrus and Tali kissing was funny. Listening to Tali when she got drunk -- hysterical. There were lots of little one-liners throughout the game that were just really funny. Don't remember that kind of dialog in ME1 or 2.
The character stories are great in the series. Really what kept me wanting more. For Blakes love interests before he got married, I'll let you know which love interests he had in mass effect.

ME1 - Urdnot Wrex

ME2 - Jacob Taylor

ME3 - James Vega

Quote:
However they really dropped the ball on the universe exploration. In theory, flying around uncovering assets while trying to evade the reapers seems like it would be cool. But it was more annoying and useless than anything else. That whole "scan" mechanic blew. ME1 probably did the best job with the side-mission exploration. ME2 wasn't too bad, but it was more focused on resource collecting.
Agree. I really enjoyed the exploring from ME1. It was great running into new stories while actually exploring so many planets. Looks like they are listening to fans cause they said that they are bringing make the Mako and exploring in the next Mass effect.

Quote:
I didn't mind the ending at all. Not sure why the internet hated it so much. The whole citadel/crucible thing was an interesting twist and I kind of liked it. I always loved the idea of man vs machine and history repeating itself (e.g. BSG).
Can't agree with this more. I felt the same way. I really thought it was good that they kept the story sorta simple with the man vs machine thing. From the beginning you knew that the reapers were there to remove all bio life from the galaxy. Then we found out why. The ME3 only explained further on why they were doing it.

I enjoyed the series and i'm looking forward to the next one.