Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Fuse Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9M4R47nRU

The part where Joffrey gets cow poo to the face. Amazing.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Fuse Member

Last night's episode was ok. Hard to follow up the amazing episodes from the previous two weeks. I love Arya and every scene she's in. Her chats with Tywin are awesome, including last night. Jon Snow is proving to be an idiot with her prisoner girl.

My favorite scene of the season so far:

That stare down at the end is sick!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Fuse Member

Spoilers*

Last night's episode "blackwater" was really good. Is the dwarf dead?! Dog - "fuck the king's guard, fuck the city, fuck the king", I lol'd. Queen is about to find out about Shae. Stannis Baratheon is gonna be piked it looks like. Joffrey being a pussy after talking about how he was gonna give Stannis a red smile was a great scene followed by the dwarf speech.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooxra View Post
Spoilers*

Last night's episode "blackwater" was really good. Is the dwarf dead?! Dog - "fuck the king's guard, fuck the city, fuck the king", I lol'd. Queen is about to find out about Shae. Stannis Baratheon is gonna be piked it looks like. Joffrey being a pussy after talking about how he was gonna give Stannis a red smile was a great scene followed by the dwarf speech.
They changed it from the book a bit, but the general idea is there. From taking to others about it, and ill have to re read it after this season, the [P]Imp is supposed to get burned, not cut. He does live, but I wont spoil it anymore. A lot happens after this, and I wounder where they will leave it for the end of the season. S3 is gonna be great, but i think they will split the book into two seasons, as a ton of stuff happens, including the Red Wedding.

Good season so far, I just want more already. They have kept pace with the books, but I have noticed more and more changes from the book as it goes on.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkulaid View Post
They changed it from the book a bit, but the general idea is there. From taking to others about it, and ill have to re read it after this season, the [P]Imp is supposed to get burned, not cut. He does live, but I wont spoil it anymore. A lot happens after this, and I wounder where they will leave it for the end of the season. S3 is gonna be great, but i think they will split the book into two seasons, as a ton of stuff happens, including the Red Wedding.

Good season so far, I just want more already. They have kept pace with the books, but I have noticed more and more changes from the book as it goes on.
Been a few years since I read it, but if I remember correctly, the book goes a little something like this:

Tyrion leads the guard into battle like the b/a we all know and love. They're basically skipping around, climbing all over whatever is left floating. Tyrion finds himself clinging to debris/boats to avoid drowning. Ser Meryn happens to be there to save the day...or so he thinks. Tyrion ends up getting slashed by Meryn in the book rather that pulled to safety (the gash as well as the burn are referenced throughout the next books). The squire (Podrick Payne?) is there to kill Meryn and save Tyrion. He also gets burned pretty badly as you said, but that was another moment in the battle.

I'm not against the decision to tone it down. If Tyrion is drastically changed in appearance, I don't think it would go over too well with the more casual audience. Lets be honest, the dude is pretty good looking, midge or not, he's got it going on.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 PM
GoL Member

I'm re-reading the books right now. Halfway through 3. I don't remember reading about Tyrion getting burned, but he takes a wound in the elbow, and then Ser Mandon Moore hacks him in the face and cuts off half his nose. Throughout that whole chapter though, he's a complete fucking badass. (HALFMAN HALFMAN HALFMAN) And yes that was on the ruins of ships on the river from his awesome chain idea that they completely cut from the show.

I know why they cut so much from the books, and it makes perfect sense. There is an absolute fuck-ton of backstory, inner dialogue, and tons of small info just thrown into the books. There is so much, that there's no fucking way they can cram it into 10 hours of TV time. So I totally get why they hack the story up, add things in to make new plotlines, and cut other plotlines completely out.
There is no Roz in the books.
There may be one line at some point referencing her. But I get why they added her.
Tywin doesn't have Arya for a cupbearer. I believe she only barely see's him.
Stuff they cut out between Sansa and the Hound.
Jon and Ygritte, that shits slightly different.
Things like that. The list could easily go on.

That's what the books are for though. If you like the show, read the books, they are way more rewarding.
But, GRRM being the absolute fucker he is, he's wrote himself into a corner, and the story here on out from the last book is gonna be fucking dumb.

From what he was quoted on saying years and years ago, is that this current story if just a precursor to the war between the Others and the realm of men. Book 4 gets close to starting it, by book 5 that shits an afterthought. GRRM has no idea what he's doing now.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenzombie View Post
There is no Roz in the books.
There may be one line at some point referencing her. But I get why they added her.
They actually talked about this on the dvd commentary. Originally she wasn't going to be a character of any significance, but they ended up loving her performance so much they wrote a part for her.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:52 PM
GoL Member

Damn I need to watch the commentaries.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Fuse Member

yea, I understand they have to tone it back and cut some things out. I need to watch the commentaries as well (Blu Ray only right?). Overall its still a great series, i just wish there was more, but how can there be that much more without becoming a snooze fest of a series. First time I read the books, it was good, but I feel reading them a second time ill pick up on a lot more. Im just waiting for book six at this point, guess ill re-read the rest and wait.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
Tyrion really is such a bad ass.