Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Fuse Member

If you read the book and not the short story (book isn't exactly super long, I think maybe 300 pages?). Then I'd suggest reading Ender's Shadow immediatly. I liked Ender's Shadow more than Ender's Game and there's a LOT of connections between those two books.

Like Onion already listed out - the Shadow series is pretty good, but none of them compare to Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. The other series that follows Ender, was ok but I didn't think it was all the good. Ender in Exile was pretty meh. There's a new book that came out like 6 months ago or something like that called Earth Unaware, which is co-written by OSC and details the first time the buggers invaded Earth. I haven't read that one though. If you do read the Shadow series, you can pretty much skip Shadows in Flight as it was terrible as terrible gets.

If you want to start a new series, go with the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (Book 1 is Mistborn: The Final Empire). It is the #1 series I've read. I LOVE Ender's Game, but Mistborn is crazy good. The first book is incredible, especially the ending - and you'll think wtf can happen from here really and how can it be as good. But it only gets better and better.

After that you can read other Brandon Sanderson books like Path recommended The Way of Kings (the stormlight archive series, Brandon Sanderson is working on book 2 right now). His other books I've read haven't been nearly as good as Mistborn, though. I still think about Mistborn every now and then and think about how awesome it was. I'll probably be rereading it this summer.

The other book Path recommended is really really good too. The Kingkiller Chronicles, a trilogy (book 1 is The Name of the Wind). Book 2 (The Wise Man's Fear) came out a few years ago, and book 3 has yet to be announced as Patrick Rothfuss is taking his fat ass a long time. Supposedly, the trilogy is just going to be the start and there will be a sequel trilogy or 2 after that. His writing style is a lot different from both OSC and Brandon Sanderson. If you do choose to read this one, the first 100 pages or so of Book 1 are pretty boring as he sets up A LOT of information and foreshadowing. It gets pretty damn good after a big event that you'll know right away "damn, that was huge".

Last edited by Nucholza; 04-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruci View Post
Also, check out the Kingkiller books as was already mentioned. They're pretty solid high fantasy and the 3rd one comes out soon.
Where did you see this? I check his website every now and then to see if he's nailed down a release date, but don't see anything still. I've read that people are proof reading a rough draft, but still no release date. Last I remember, he said it could still be a year or two. I'm gonna have to reread book 1 and 2 before it does come out.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Officer

what nuch said about mistborn i own those 3 books but im only like half way through the first one its pretty damn good tho :x
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kz View Post
what nuch said about mistborn i own those 3 books but im only like half way through the first one its pretty damn good tho :x
You need to finish then because it gets crazy beyond crazy
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucholza View Post
Where did you see this? I check his website every now and then to see if he's nailed down a release date, but don't see anything still. I've read that people are proof reading a rough draft, but still no release date. Last I remember, he said it could still be a year or two. I'm gonna have to reread book 1 and 2 before it does come out.
Okay. Maybe I lied. One of my buddies is more of a fanatic than I am and we had talked about it last summer. He was hopeful for sometime in 2013, but it looks like projections are a lot further down the road with fans claiming late 2014 now.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruci View Post
Okay. Maybe I lied. One of my buddies is more of a fanatic than I am and we had talked about it last summer. He was hopeful for sometime in 2013, but it looks like projections are a lot further down the road with fans claiming late 2014 now.
You got me all excited when I read that you bastard.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
God

i did read the novel of enders game. starting enders shadow tonight
Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Fuse Member

The Lies of Locke Lamora and the followup, Red Seas Under Red Skies are both solid fantasy/steampunk books.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintilian View Post
The Lies of Locke Lamora and the followup, Red Seas Under Red Skies are both solid fantasy/steampunk books.
I've heard good things about those. On my list to read still!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM
GoL Member

I was in a bookstore on Saturday and picked up The Name of the Wind. On the way home in the car I was curious and started reading the first few pages.
I finished it last night.
Hurriedly I drove back to the bookstore before they closed and picked up The Wise Man's Fear.
Been a long time since I've read a +600 book in like a day and a half.

I was almost done with another series too, but guess I can go back to it in another couple days.
Also picked up Ender's Game since I've never read it and have been meaning to for a long time.

Last edited by Rottenzombie; 04-29-2013 at 11:08 PM.