Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
Its pretty crazy. People really have no idea how its gonna end. Some interesting stuff hidden in all of the episodes, but none of its concrete. Points a lot of different ways.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Fuse Member

Really great finish to the season. All and all great entire season.

Bad news about the show if they plan on continuing, the director is moving out of the director seat. Pretty sure I saw that somewhere two weeks back.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Fuse Member

Started watching this show last night. Got through the first 3 see episodes. Harrelson and McConaughey are great as always, and Alexandra Daddario is spectacularly hot. But so far... it's your typical murder mystery. I assume it starts slow given all the hype. Hoping to finish it in the next couple days.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Fuse Member

True Detective Creator Says Season 2 Will Stay Strange
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...l-stay-strange

Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Officer

:SPOILER:

i was hoping they would both die tbh, not sure how u survive a knife stabbing and get lifted off the ground with it and a axe thrown at ur chest.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Fuse Member

Just finished watching. I'm with you KZ. Thought it might've been kinda cool to have them both die at the end. I thought their conversation about light vs dark at the very end was cute though, and a really good segue into subsequent seasons and the format for the show.

Overall I'm a little confused why the world had such a hard on for this show though. Sure, the acting was good, the story was pretty good, the writing/directing/etc was all good. It's not that I didn't like it -- it was good. But damn, I would *never* classify this show as the best thing that's ever been on television. Not even close. Yet that's all I keep hearing when social media talks about it. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, BSG... all head and shoulders above True Detective. Although I freely admit murder mystery / thrillers aren't really my thing.

I really don't get why people couldn't figure out how it was gonna end after episode 7. They tell you at the end of E7 exactly who the killer is. We knew season 2 would be its own self-contained story without the same actors. So of course the storyline would resolve itself -- the killer would undoubtably be caught at the end like every other murder mystery. It would've been way more interesting and more of a twist if he didn't, but alas, he did. Hell, didn't someone even speculate it might take the supernatural / X-Files route? The ending had to be a pretty big letdown for whoever was hoping for that.

Clue me in. Am I missing something? Was this like a Lost kind of show where they sprinkled obscure clues throughout the season and people were chasing their tails trying to figure it all out? Maybe watching all 8 episodes back to back took something away from the experience? I dunno, I guess I expected more given all the hype.

Last edited by Gogan; 03-10-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
I guess I expected more given all the hype.
I think this is it for you. It's not the greatest series ever. It was really good tho. I might of liked it a little more cause two actors I enjoy watching.

Last edited by Yooxra; 03-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I think you are right about watching them all in a row Asano. The difference between Lost and this show is, Lost made a huge deal out of these little details, promising they all meant something. True Detective never did this. Apparently some of the things fans put together surprised even the writers. Each week, you agonized over details waiting for the next show. In part it helps to know some of the things that the show are based off of. Carcosa and the King of Yellow are actually things that have existed in literature for some time. The King of Yellow was supposedly a play that if you read it, you went insane. I kind of felt the show was doing that to people. We were going insane trying to figure out everything. In the end, the twist was that there was no twist. In many ways it told us everything from the very beginning. We slowly learned who the killers were and why. We are left with some stuff open and some stuff answered. I've read some people say that Rust wasn't hallucinating at all, that he really saw the evil that the family was tapping into in Carcosa. In the end, either way, it doesn't really matter. I enjoyed it. and was happy with the ending.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Sunday school

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of shit. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get you through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?
I enjoyed this one.