Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Fuse Member

This Made more sense to me.

Alternate ending of I am Legend.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...is-is-amazing/

I thought it was better.

Unfortunately I already had this exact picture tattooed on my chest, but this shirt is very useful in colder weather.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
The Real McCoy

its funny that part of that was actually in all the previews.

and yea, its way better.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Fuse Member

That ending is much better, and far less cheesy. The ending was what ruined the movie for me tbh.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I never saw the movie, but have read the book. Its only like 100 pages, so you really should give it a go. Its pretty good, and pretty depressing. From my understanding the movie is a total raping of the original story.

"For those unaware, let me explain the concept of Richard Matheson's book to help clarify why this original ending was so amazing to finally see. Without spoiling too much (incase you want to read it), the entire purpose of the title I Am Legend is that in the book, Robert Neville actually is the last man on the planet. And he has switched places from our reality of what we perceive as legend, to actually being the legend. As in, vampires are "legendary" to us because they're a myth from fantasy. In the book, Robert Neville is "legendary" because he is that myth and goes out day after day hunting them. With the original theatrical ending, they never actually touched on that idea at all - but when you think about, that's a pretty damn cool concept."

Like the dude says, he is the ONLY human alive, he never find another. He spends all of his time hunting them during the day. He contemplates suicide all the time, and really doesn't understand why he bothers living. In the end it turns out the vampires are trying to live as close to a "normal" life as they had before, but there is a "legendary" creature now that hunts them while they sleep. Basically he becomes the monster to them. Its pretty cool.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Fuse Member

Haven't seen the movie yet, but that does sound like a damn cool idea.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Fuse Member

The short story was great, and the first about 2/3 of the movie were fantastic. Unfortunately they decided to turn it into a sort of zombie style movie for end, which really destroyed the whole concept of it. Up to that point, it was great.

The alternate ending was ok, but really, they miss the whole point of the name, of why he is a Legend.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to isk
Yep, exactly. I'm glad a friend of mine hooked me up with the short story before I saw the movie. It's very well done, ending gave me chills. The movie is, eh, it's Will Smith's best acting ever. If I could do it all over again I'd see the movie first.