Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Fuse Member

Overwatch

Best email I got today:

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
I'm so jealous of you. You have to let us know your thoughts. Tried watching it but it's hard to get into a stream when you're not familiar with the mechanics (like American dudes watching rugby), from what I could tell it looks to play a little like TF2 with elements of a moba. Should be interesting at the very least.

I'm planning on hitting this pretty intensely when it release on Xbone; if anybody has the same plans shoot me your GT!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Fuse Member

I watched a LOT of it on twitch during last year's beta event. It looked like a ton of fun, especially when playing with friends.

Now that I played a bit last night, I can safely say it is meeting all my expectations. I'm not a FPS player historically, but Overwatch is really fun and they've made it super easy for new players to get started. It's extremely well polished for a beta.

I never played TF2, but everyone compares Overwatch to it so I think that's the closest comparison. I wouldn't say there's anything moba-like about it. It's a pure team-based strategy FPS. I throw in the "strategy" part, because there's a bit more to it than something like CS:GO. They put a lot of emphasis on being able to switch heroes during a match, to counter whatever your opponents are doing. So I think there will be a big "meta" game, where certain heroes will be favored on certain maps against certain opponents. It'll be interesting to follow.

Otherwise, there's not much to learn so I think it's pretty easy to pick up just by watching the streams.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Fuse Member

I had a chance to play during the weekend, and yes I love the fact you can change your team comp in the middle of the match to better suit your gameplay.

really the most important thing other then getting familiar with heros would be learning maps and nooks people like to hide/snipe
Old 02-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusa View Post
really the most important thing other then getting familiar with heros would be learning maps and nooks people like to hide/snipe
Yep, learning all the little nuances/strengths/weaknesses of each hero the maps is half the battle.

I've played just over 100 games now (52W-51L), with Soldier 76, Genji, Lucio, Bastion, and Torbjorn being my most played at 2-3 hours each. I've put in 2hrs on Reinhardt too, but I think I'm pretty bad at him (and all the tanks, really). But I'm trying to force myself to put in time on each character. There's so many, and they all play so differently. It's pretty exciting to see someone play a hero really really well.

I thought I'd love the snipers, but my aim is just so bad. Not a surprise given my lack of FPS experience I guess. I really want to be good with Tracer too, but I'm just not. She looks like god-mode in the hands of a really good player. Symmetra is another I wished I was better at. I think she's all about simply knowing the good turret spots on each map.

A lot of people are complaining about Bastion and Torbjorn being overpowered, but I think everyone is balanced pretty well. Those two are definitely kind of easy-mode, but there are definitely counters to them. There's a few balance tweaks they can (and I'm sure will) make, but skill and comp-swapping goes a long way.

I'll play this game a lot in solo mode when it releases, but it's really meant to be played as a pre-made. Hope a bunch of you guys are intending to play it. And if you happen to get into beta, make sure I'm on your friends list (asano#1883)! Remember to sign up for beta in your bnet account. I'm sure they'll be doing more and more invites from now until June.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:23 AM
Fuse Member

yes asano, when Nuch blake and I played over the weekened ( short lived but fun) we quickly figured out Basion was easy, most played* and generally difficult to deal with if (the other teams players were well played) but as soon as he goes into turret mode he is defenseless against shots from behind.

look forward to hearing more info from you
Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 AM
GoL Member

Are you playing on a keyboard or controller? Does anyone have any recommendations on a controller if they use one for a PC? I have never played FPS because i am not a fan of their movements on a keyboard nor the lack of peripheral vision.

Alliance --
Balrin|Brondor|Gronthor|Ironshot|
Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Fuse Member

I play with KBM.

I have an Xbox controller and it's worked fine on the few games I've used it, but that's almost never -- definitely not on FPS games. I've always thought KBM was superior to controllers for FPS.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:12 AM
Fuse Member

honestly Keyboard and mouse are probably the best with FPS the mouse allows you to "pan left/right" as fast or as a slow as you want, mind you sensitivity could be set on your xbox but I dont think it will ever be as great as KBM.

peripheral vision is another thing most FPS game lack, I know I can almost see behind/beside myself with my peripheral in RL but in CS it is like a 45-60 degree angle from your gun LOS, not the usual field of vision you would experience. kinda like wearing a helmet that restricts your FoV
Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronthor View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on a controller if they use one for a PC?
I use a PS4 controller.

With windows you can simply plug and play Xbox controllers(360/XB1) with the PC. For the PS4 controller I had to install a driver. You can buy a legit controller for either console and use it instead of some made for PC one.