Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Fuse Member

Nosgoth

Looks like it might be fun. Hopefully the people behind this can go back to making single player games again at some point, Legacy of kain series that is.

http://www.nosgoth.com/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...-moba-vampires

Beta starts soon. For those interested in this type of game. I might be, seems like an arena type game.

The Legacy of Kain - Remembering past games, imagining future ones.
10 canceled games of this series.
Little history about Nosgoth and the games that came to be for those interested. Originally very story driven turned into action sequels that no one wanted. Trying to add action while completely killing the story telling that made these games great. Same mistake that I feel many companies have made over the years ruining game series like final fantasy to many other games.

The first game that came out Legacy of kain: Blood omen. One of my all time favorite games that I have played. The story in this game amazed me and kept me wanting more. For a sequel that never came to be. As you can see in the canceled games they tried to make a sequel for Kain 4 times that got canceled before releasing soul reaver that I thought was a great game and had a good story. Not as good of a story of Kain, but was great for a another game in the series that could arc off. Still hoping that a Kain sequel would come, it finally did as an action driven game that was blood omen 2 which most people didn't enjoy like they did the first game. Then came defiance the last in the series till this day. Two games that were action driven, that I could not bring myself to play cause I knew the story telling of the first game was not going to be there. I heard they told some of the story which was ok but they both weren't that good.

Stilling hoping that a Kain sequel would come someday. Seeing canceled dead sun makes me very sad. They just don't make games with deep stories anymore imo.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Looks decent..

I loved Blood Omen. Soul Reaver was OK, but nothing came close to the original. Praying for a sequel as well.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Fuse Member

It's cool to see that Amy Hennig had something to do with the writing of Defiance. Not sure if she had more to do with the series cause I haven't delve that deep. Did enjoy her storytelling in the uncharted series. Sad to see her leave Naughty dog.

Which is funny cause now she is working for Visceral Games. Which is not currently working on a Dead space. Another series I enjoy. Yet another series that went more action when it got to part 3. The game was good, but it wasn't Dead space 1 and 2 good imo. However, I haven't enjoyed a Star wars game in a long time, I think since N64 days. There was one Star wars game for that system I enjoyed, Star Wars Shadow of Empire. That Star wars game 1313 looked good till it got canceled. Hopefully this next game has a great story to it.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
God

signed up

we play arena in smite. u should check out bro! basiclly all i play is 5v5 arena and 5v5 all random all middle. cuz i miss u bro plus u can hear nuch rage when we suck
Old 06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Fuse Member

Legacy of kain: Dead sun

Some of the information about what was planned for it

The target format of the game changed rapidly during development. At one point it was envisioned as a small project (possibly downloadable?), and then as a Xbox 360/PS3 retail release. In its final form, the game would have been a PlayStation 4 launch title – I am unclear whether an Xbox One or PC release was also planned.

A large amount of work went into the game, with a tremendous amount of hours contributed by the artists. Development had progressed to the point in which some voice acting/motion capture had taken place.

Square Enix eventually projected that the game wouldn’t reach their sales expectations (click here), and they decided to cancel it in 2012. One of my sources speculates that as the company had invested no money into marketing at this point, it was an easy decision for them. Some of the development team were not told about the cancellation, and still came in on their weekends to work on the game while Square Enix executives knew it would not be coming out.

Which is extremely sad that the numbers these companies expect from these games is just totally high. They want multi-platinum sales. To the point they were ready to throw tomb raider on the heap when it didn't sell well. Till it made them money on next gen remakes. To the point they keep changing these games so much to get more people playing them that it turns into less people playing them. Then they don't make more. Cause of these wild expectations.

It really sux that Legacy of Kain: Dead sun could have been a release game for Ps4. Cause when watch dogs got delayed 6 months, there really wasn't much of a release line up. It would of breathed new life into the series I think. On top of that for consoles like all next gen systems there usually isn't a new rpg/adventure that is any good for next gen for the first two years. These companies just keep following the same patterns mostly. It's sad. I could of used a great rpg for either ps4 or my PC.

We get games like Bound by Flame. Have to have consoles gather dust for 2 years before we get games like Bloodborne and Witcher 3. Then whats worse the PC that we have we usually have to wait for consoles to make their money before we get to buy them for PC a year after consoles or later.

Last edited by Yooxra; 06-18-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
signed up

we play arena in smite. u should check out bro! basiclly all i play is 5v5 arena and 5v5 all random all middle. cuz i miss u bro plus u can hear nuch rage when we suck
I signed up. I'll give it a try.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Couldn't agree more Yoox. Waiting years for a well written game is concerning. Dark Souls 2 has held me over until BB, Deliverance, and Witcher 3 come out. I bought Planescape: Torment and BG 2 on GOG yesterday for $10 to give me something to play this Summer.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
God planescape was the shit. I loved the soul reaver games and I couldn't believe how they had just left it unfinished. Hope something good comes of this. I agree about writing in games. I have gotten bored with games because the stories have become soooo bad. They used to be so engaging on so many levels, gameplay,graphics and story all combined. Now they just go for the flashiest graphics at the sacrifice of everything else .
Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrupp View Post
Couldn't agree more Yoox. Waiting years for a well written game is concerning. Dark Souls 2 has held me over until BB, Deliverance, and Witcher 3 come out. I bought Planescape: Torment and BG 2 on GOG yesterday for $10 to give me something to play this Summer.
I just get so mad when companies are bought out cause the games we enjoyed so much are pretty much gone. It makes proper sequels seem so far out of reach. Would need a really talented team to please both sides of the fence. The higher ups that want crazy sales figures and more flash with action while giving gamers the story and balance we crave. Hopefully they can release a legacy of kain worthy of the title at some point.

Bloodborne, Final fantasy 15, are some of the games I worry about some cause of buyouts. Keep your fingers crossed. Sq enix hasn't been the same for a while now. So I won't put to much into ff15, if it turns out to be good i'll get it. If not, I won't be wasting any money like I did with ff13.

I keep getting pulled back to play the older games. Just to much substance. I enjoy seeing some of the things that got me into games, then crave more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rursusferre View Post
God planescape was the shit. I loved the soul reaver games and I couldn't believe how they had just left it unfinished. Hope something good comes of this. I agree about writing in games. I have gotten bored with games because the stories have become soooo bad. They used to be so engaging on so many levels, gameplay,graphics and story all combined. Now they just go for the flashiest graphics at the sacrifice of everything else .
I look forward to Pillars of eternity and Torment: tides of numenera cause they started new companies and don't have to many higher ups pulling their strings yet. Witcher 3 is gonna be great. I hope CD projekt is never bought out. Cyberpunk 2077 at some point.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I need to check out witcher games