Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 PM

MMX - Legacy

Picked this up on the 75% off weekend and I'm amazed (Loved Dark Messiah amongst others). Modern touch on a classic RPG style...Dragon Age meets Final Fantasy. Check it out!

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/might...cy/en-us/home/
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Fuse Member

I was looking into getting this. I played legend of grimrock and enjoyed it. They are making number 2, can't wait. Might pick this up.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Fuse Member

Installed MMX tonight. It's *just* like the old school M&M games before they got bad. Enjoying it so far.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=220887893
Great guide formatted without spoilers.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Fuse Member

That is a great guide, thanks Grupp.

My first group went pretty rough - Defender, Shaman, Freemage, Druid. Made it to about level 7 before I gave up. I was just guzzling mana/hp pots non-stop.

My second group has gone much better - Crusader, Barb, Scout, Druid. Melee owns early on, and picking up Bows immediately for every character is apparently pretty critical. Just finished Act 2, ~lvl 17.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Interesting approach, I rarely use(d) ranged weapons. Like you, I failed about level 10 as well with starting group. Remade and went Freemage, Druid, Bladedancer, Mercenary. Had a VERY hard time in act IV, but managed to complete the game.

Replaying now on Warrior with Rune Priest, Crusader, Bladedancer, Freemage. Hoping for a late blooming group. Very engaging game, good luck!!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Fuse Member

A couple observations:

Dual wield is sick. Coupled with weapons that do splash damage to other mobs on the same tile as your target, coupled with Paladin's Mandate of Heaven, and the damage output is crazy. I originally skilled up two-handed weapons with my Barbarian but recently started dual wielding instead and I'm now blowing through content (~mid act 3, lvl24ish).

Druid Elders are really strong. Regen plus Nurture is super mana efficient healing that keeps my party topped off even under tons of pressure. And if my Druid gets pacified somehow (feebleminded, knocked out, mana drained, etc) and loses a few turns, it's no biggie. Coupled with the Paladin's backup healing and celestial shield and I'm surviving fights I didn't think I'd have a prayer in.

I feel pretty invincible right now. I'm looking forward to playing through again with a Runepriest, but I can't imagine it being better than the Druid's passive healing.

On another note, I can't imagine playing through this game w/o the various guides out there. Some of the storyline quests give you so little information it's silly. "Find so-and-so somewhere out in the world. Good luck!" Not to mention some npcs only show up in certain places at certain times of the day... forget about it. It might be interesting to try and play completely blind, but you'd have to take copious notes on everything you encounter.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 PM

Well said about the continuity of the quests/story. I like that the game doesn't hold your hand, but at the same time, I'd be frustrated without that guide.
You nailed it right on the head, Blademaster (or any DW) and Druid Elder are top tier. Having a 2h Axe is fun seeing 1k crits, but you can get 8 dagger attacks in comparison lol.
Having the runepriest GM in fire is sick damage, but I have to "rush" encounters to survive w/o a druid. Having a shaman with Liquid Membrane and Regen isn't too bad of a compromise though. Might do one more playthrough with all magic or melee to get the achievement.
Also, Fire shield is amazing.

Last edited by McGrupp; 03-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Fuse Member

Finished the game tonight. Didn't complete all the side quests (4 left in my log), but got most of them I think. Finished just shy of level 33. I'm guessing you were lower level if you had trouble in act iv, because I cruised through it. I was probably over-leveled and over-geared though (13 relics equipped). There were a couple annoying fights in the final room collecting the sigils -- mostly the very last fight with the 4 casters all at long range. Fortunately my scout had his GM relic xbow, and even my barb's expert relic bow was enough to take them down in 4-5 turns.

Great game though. Really glad to see them release this in the same style as the previous old-school M&M games. I'll probably play through again on Warrior mode sometime, but I think the new D3 expansion will be next on my list.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Same fight is what gave me the most trouble (on Warrior) with 1 caster and no skilled range. Think you'll find the difficulty jump refreshing, I believe it gives monsters 1.5 HP and 1.5 ATK plus an additional 1-3 skills. The faceless become really annoying!

Glad you enjoyed, with Dark Souls 2 and D3 out soon, I will probably shelf this as well for awhile. Rumors are there is a DLC coming this quarter.