Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Fuse Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...ternity-review

Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 PM

Rolled Ranger first go around; selected Wolf companion. I played quite a bit into the first Act, but my companion died nearly every fight resulting in a debuff on my character...was very frustrating. Seems a Bear companion would be more forgiving. Trying rogue this go after abandoning the Ranger for now
Old 03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Fuse Member

I started with a Priest thinking it would be good to have a reliable healer right off the bat. Apparently Priests don't actually get any healing spells... at least not in the first 3 levels I've played. Sigh. I'm mostly a buff bot, but that requires me to rest constantly to replenish spells. So I'm mostly useless in fights. Thinking about re-rolling as well. Wizards also seem pretty useless early on -- they die so easily and also have to rest too often.

Thinking melee owns in this game. I'll stick it out a little longer, but I might reroll a barbarian or rogue.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Fighters/Rogues have always had an advantage in these games. Wizard spells being limited in number of casts and no way to replenish other than resting brings the game to a CRAWL. The priest in my party has 2 healing spells (same spell, different ranks) and his priest(?) ability also heals endurance on use...he's quite useful (restricted by resting). Camping supplies are expensive and hard to find from my first experience
Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Fuse Member

I don't mind resting to replenish spells, but needing camping supplies in order to rest (and capping the number of supplies you can carry) really makes things rough. It kind of makes things interesting, so I'm not necessarily complaining yet. It just makes spell casters a tricky class early on.

My priest has plenty of spells that recover endurance, but nothing that heals hp. What are the names of the spells you have that heal hp?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Fuse Member

Ok, checked again and I have "Consecrated Ground", a level 2 spell that does periodic healing, so that's pretty good.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Fuse Member

11 hours in. Man, this is a really good game. A bit text heavy, but I guess that's to be expected. Really love the depth they allow in character creation and progression. The adjustments they made to the stat system (e.g. might increases power for all characters, int increases aoe radiuses, etc) are so much better than the traditional system and make for some interesting playstyles.

I just picked up the ranger companion. I like her, but I see what you mean about the debuff on pet death. That's pretty crippling. Chanters seem terrible, at least so far (lvl5). Soon as I got the ranger I ditched that Chanter. I created my own rogue companion early on. He's a badass, but pretty squishy. It's great having someone that can always disarm traps and open locks though. Having two priests in the party has been pretty nice. The talent that causes burn damage on Holy Radiance is great. And I'm starting to enjoy the wizard mechanics, although it's really easy to cause friendly fire, so that's tough to work around. The fighter is kinda meh... I need to learn how their taunt mechanics (engagement) work. He never seems to keep an enemy's attention when others are in melee range.

Anyway, this is a beautiful successor to the Baldur's Gate series. The game engine is really fantastic. I hope they make more games based on it.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM

It really is a great RPG. Yes, Text heavy, but enjoyable nonetheless. The engine is smooth. I wish the implemented Dragon Age's script commands for party members, but sticking to the old style is just.
I have a Barbarian and a Fighter in my group..The tactic that works best for me is pausing, sending the fighter and barb in first, allowing all enemies to hone in, then I send in the rest of my party. My fighter holds at least 3 engaged enemies while the Barb handles the strays. My mage mostly sits there...by the time I get him in position to cast a spell, thus avoiding friendly fire, the fight is over
Old 03-29-2015, 04:25 PM
GoL Member

Cipher is insane damage with a tank, their AoE is sick and with good dex they get their focus back so fast. The chanter is bad but his summons are way too strong, it is really an EQ bard with overpowered summons.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Fuse Member

Yeah, Ciphers do look really strong. If I ever play through this again, that's probably the class I'd play. Didn't realize Chanters got summons. Might have to try that companion out again.

I just got to Act 3. Apparently you can't return to Defiance Bay after finishing act 2. Still had a bunch of quests there to finish. =/ You guys are probably well into act 3 by now, but for others, be warned.