Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooxra View Post
(and of course the stoping the dynomite with his brain power)
LOL, dude, he didn't stop it with his "brain power". =P The idea is that some force beyond their control (fate, nature, god, whatever) won't allow events to transpire that would result in their death. Jack doesn't have superpowers. Ever see Final Destination, the movie where no matter what the kids try and do, death always finds them? It's like that, but in reverse. No matter what Jack and Richard try and do, they'll always escape death.

Quote:
One other thing about Richard notice he said he wasn't time traveling to Hurley in the episode. Not that it means anything just yet, throwing that out there for future reference.
I think it was a reference to the fact that Richard didn't age since the last time (in the 70s?) Hurley and crew saw him. I don't recall exactly when they last met, but Hurley said something like "you haven't aged" after that line.

Quote:
I liked how when the crew walked up on the beach Hurley is so big that he eclipsed Richard till the last moment. I can't help but to get the song "the boys are back in town" in my head everytime they do the strolling onto the beach part and start hugging.
Seriously, how many times have they shot that scene? It's like the iconic scene for this show. Did you notice the music playing when Jack and Hurley set off for the temple, just before they met Richard? It was some comical bass/percussion piece you'd expect to hear while watching elephants travel or something. I was cracking up.

Quote:
So the good guys seem to be set now and the bad guys. Is the Charles crew gonna be a third party? Seems like now the table is set and a clash is gonna happen or something else.
It sounded like from the Lighthouse episode that Jacob wanted Charles to find the island, so I'm guessing he's a "good guy", but I'm not quite sure yet what that means exactly. Until we find out what the purpose and true nature of the island, Jacob, and Smokey are, it's hard to say.

On another note, Locke told Ben that they were headed to the Hydra station. Do we have any idea why they'd be heading there?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I kinda of agree with asano, I thought it was a decent episode. Moving in the right direction atleast. When Richard came running out of the woods I definitely thought of you yoox. Got a little bit of insight. Originally I thought Richard wasn't aging because of time travel stuff stated on th show, but it appears to be different. I agree that the ben scene at the end was really good and I too felt that hurley looked like a baby elephant let loose on the beach. I think widmoore was not a suprise at all, and perhaps we'll see the Locke camp and Jacob camp have to collectively deal with him.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
I agree asano and definitely made a comment to Melissa about it. The slow-mo reunion with the orchestra in the background is like their "go to" montage.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Fuse Member

I don't remember the exact line, but Jack asked Richard if he had "ever been here before" when Richard appeared in the woods and told Jack and Hurley to follow him to the temple, but instead took them to the Black Rock. Richard's response was that he had been there before, but hadn't come back since. Sounds like they confirmed that Richard came to the island on the Black Rock, and he hasn't aged since due to Jacob's touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooxra
Would like an answer to why Richard gets to live forever and why the others don't
Either it's because Jacob chose to give that "gift" to Richard specifically so he could play his role as a kind of wise and knowledgeable adviser to the Others or everyone else does get to live forever just like him and it just hasn't been long enough for us to be able to tell if they've aged at all. Remember, Richard isn't eternal, he just can't kill himself. I'm not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that no one that Jacob has touched has committed suicide which is the only thing keeping Richard from dying - someone else can kill him so it wouldn't mean he's special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan
On another note, Locke told Ben that they were headed to the Hydra station. Do we have any idea why they'd be heading there?
Locke keeps talking about leaving the Island for good, that's why he came to Ben and offered him the job as the island's protector. Maybe he has someway off the island - didn't Ben tell Miles that he could get off the island and get him 3 million? So maybe there's another sub that Ben and Smokey know about? Or maybe Smokey plans on taking Widmore's? In any case I'd say Whidmore is there to stop Smokey from leaving.

What will be interesting to see is if Whidmore is the only notable person on that submarine.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
LOL, dude, he didn't stop it with his "brain power". =P The idea is that some force beyond their control (fate, nature, god, whatever) won't allow events to transpire that would result in their death. Jack doesn't have superpowers. Ever see Final Destination, the movie where no matter what the kids try and do, death always finds them? It's like that, but in reverse. No matter what Jack and Richard try and do, they'll always escape death.
Of course lol. That was surpose to be a joke. Hard to tell sometimes tho when Jack closes his eyes and thinks so hard his face turns red hah.

Quote:
Seriously, how many times have they shot that scene? It's like the iconic scene for this show. Did you notice the music playing when Jack and Hurley set off for the temple, just before they met Richard? It was some comical bass/percussion piece you'd expect to hear while watching elephants travel or something. I was cracking up.
Rofl

Quote:
It sounded like from the Lighthouse episode that Jacob wanted Charles to find the island, so I'm guessing he's a "good guy", but I'm not quite sure yet what that means exactly. Until we find out what the purpose and true nature of the island, Jacob, and Smokey are, it's hard to say.

No, but it's a good question. I was wondering what significance the hydra station did for the bad guys too. Cept leaving the island.

Last edited by Yooxra; 03-10-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rursusferre View Post
I kinda of agree with asano, I thought it was a decent episode. Moving in the right direction atleast. When Richard came running out of the woods I definitely thought of you yoox. Got a little bit of insight. Originally I thought Richard wasn't aging because of time travel stuff stated on th show, but it appears to be different. I agree that the ben scene at the end was really good and I too felt that hurley looked like a baby elephant let loose on the beach. I think widmoore was not a suprise at all, and perhaps we'll see the Locke camp and Jacob camp have to collectively deal with him.
I want to know why Jacob gave Richard the power of not aging, why not give it to the others?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucholza View Post
I don't remember the exact line, but Jack asked Richard if he had "ever been here before" when Richard appeared in the woods and told Jack and Hurley to follow him to the temple, but instead took them to the Black Rock. Richard's response was that he had been there before, but hadn't come back since. Sounds like they confirmed that Richard came to the island on the Black Rock, and he hasn't aged since due to Jacob's touch.
Yeah I think he was a prisoner on the ship.

Quote:
Either it's because Jacob chose to give that "gift" to Richard specifically so he could play his role as a kind of wise and knowledgeable adviser to the Others or everyone else does get to live forever just like him and it just hasn't been long enough for us to be able to tell if they've aged at all. Remember, Richard isn't eternal, he just can't kill himself. I'm not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that no one that Jacob has touched has committed suicide which is the only thing keeping Richard from dying - someone else can kill him so it wouldn't mean he's special.
Yeah it's good reasoning as the advisor role. I just wonder why he choose him. He does fit the role well, he just always seems like he has a much bigger purpose.

Quote:
Locke keeps talking about leaving the Island for good, that's why he came to Ben and offered him the job as the island's protector. Maybe he has someway off the island - didn't Ben tell Miles that he could get off the island and get him 3 million? So maybe there's another sub that Ben and Smokey know about? Or maybe Smokey plans on taking Widmore's? In any case I'd say Whidmore is there to stop Smokey from leaving.

What will be interesting to see is if Whidmore is the only notable person on that submarine.
I think Widmoore is there to stop him. He seems like he has other motives as well. He did want control of the island back from Ben before leaving, and has tryed to return since. But he did say that a war was coming, here it is the good vs evil.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
The Real McCoy

for the record asano, alex got wicked hot.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
for the record asano, alex got wicked hot.
I'm not saying she looks like the Hamburgler, but on the "Hollywood hot" scale she's middle of the road at best. Getting her teeth fixed helped.

I don't know what made me think of this, but are there names on Jacob's list that we're on the Oceanic flight and were among the season 1 prople kidnapped off the beach? Like the stewardess chick?
I guess I'm just assuming that everyone who survived the crash was on Jacob's lighthouse wheel. This leads me to wonder about the distinction between the two camps.

Unfortunately I already had this exact picture tattooed on my chest, but this shirt is very useful in colder weather.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DijonQ View Post
I don't know what made me think of this, but are there names on Jacob's list that we're on the Oceanic flight and were among the season 1 prople kidnapped off the beach? Like the stewardess chick?
I guess I'm just assuming that everyone who survived the crash was on Jacob's lighthouse wheel. This leads me to wonder about the distinction between the two camps.
Ya know, I've been thinking about that too. Ever since they showed the stewardess with the others (we first saw her at the Hydra station, and now with the temple others), I've been wondering what was up there. I can't think of anyone else like that. IIRC, they mostly kidnapped children from the crash survivors.

Last edited by Gogan; 03-12-2010 at 12:33 AM.