Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
Made it to level 36 before cancelling my subscription tonight. Final verdict: Wildstar is a solid game -- full featured and well polished for a new MMO -- but doesn't offer anything that you can't get elsewhere.
Tough crowd :/, to each his own though I supposed.

I'm still digging the hell out of it though!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 PM
GoL Member

I picked it up today. So far i am enjoying it. Very WoW esqe but very polished. I loved the concept of Tera and i have enjoyed WoW so these aspects increase my enjoyment so far.

Only a few hours in i will keep an open mind and post more.

Alliance --
Balrin|Brondor|Gronthor|Ironshot|
Old 06-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Fuse Member

How's it going so far, Gron? What server you playing on?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 PM
GoL Member

I am on Talon something, I can't remember the name right now. I have started a few characters trying to get a feel for what i want to play. Started off melee as i usually do. However, with the aiming of the skills the way it is, i really like ranged. I haven't got anyone past 15 yet.

Oddly enough my biggest hurdle is getting the interface and key binds just the right way. If i can get it perfectly the way i want, i know i will enjoy it even more. I am so spoiled with WoW and all the addons i use it is hard sometimes to get a game just the way i want. It may seem stupid but that was why i couldn't get into Tera and Guild Wars, but why i still will play SW:ToR.

I really like the game, it has a lot of charm, just like WoW did back when i first started. It may not be as pretty as a Tera, or as story driven as a SW:ToR. For what it lacks there, it makes up to me with its charm factor and it is very smooth, and overall just fun to play.

It does seem a little grindy but i don't mind right now as i am still trying to learn the ropes. Once i get used to everything and tinker around to get my UI and binds the right way i will probably settle on a class and focus on that.

Overall i like it and i have high hopes!

Alliance --
Balrin|Brondor|Gronthor|Ironshot|
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Fuse Member

I got used to the keybinds in Wildstar pretty quick. When I went back to SWtoR this weekend I kept hitting 'F' to interact with NPCs and picking up loot with 'V'. It was annoying having to click on everything again.

Well, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Fuse Member

Funny how quickly Wildstar fizzled out given all the pre-launch hype.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:18 PM
God

It really worries me about the future of MMO's. This is what the 5th? big "wow killer" that never took off. Companies are going to stop making them. It is all up to EQN.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Fuse Member

Yeah, I really think the MMO market is "dead". That is to say, nothing will supplant WoW until the "next big thing" in gaming (Oculus VR maybe?). Like you said, given Wildstar's failure and the many other AAA studio failures, e.g. star wars, TESO, FF, etc, it just doesn't seem like good business sense to try and create another big MMO.

WoW subs may be steadily declining (and I really don't think it'll ever get better), but the fact that it still has 7+ million subs is a testament to how many things they've done right over the years.

I was really excited about EQN too, but I don't think even they can do it at this point.

It'll be really interesting to see what the next big thing will be.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
I don't know how Blizzard does it (or even if they're the ones primarily responsible), but in my opinion the reason Blizz games stick is because of the depth to the community. You guys were the reason I stuck with WoW for so long (even if a bunch of you were/are dicks!). There are so many different outlets that let you get plugged into a community that never really sleeps. I never found that with WS, Rift, Warhammer or any of the others that I tried. GW was the best of the rest in my experience, but it's a very distant second. Playing with other people is what keeps me going, other games seem to marginalize players so they're not much more than a more situationally aware (hopefully) NPC.

Try explaining that to somebody that doesn't game...bound to get a few crazy looks.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Fuse Member

Blizzard cancelling Titan seems to be more evidence that new MMOs simply won't be a success. I'd bet the reason the dev team didn't find the "fun" or "passion" in Titan is because it's not about the game's features or graphics or gameplay, but rather in the shared experiences of discovering and exploring something novel with friends. Every new MMO is "fun" for a month or two, but the novelty wears off pretty quick because it's still just another MMO and we've been playing those for 10-20 years now.