Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Rhun Send a message via MSN to Rhun
Well, internet died so posting on my phone.

Holy shit great season finale. The last 20 minutes were what I expected, but 2 things really caught me off guard.

The fight between Brienne and Sandor Clegane was awesome, nice call Loren.

Also wtf...i don't remember jojen dieing, pretty sure he didn't. I was really hoping Coldhands would show up and save them but that didn't happen.

was cool to see bloodraven though (the three eyed crow) for you non book readers

edit - Sandor Clegane (the hound) died much earlier and they never got near as far as the Eyrie in the books, so that whole spinoff was pretty cool. Brienne fought Biter and Rorge who were killed by Arya and the Hound in the show, so all that was pretty interesting of a switch up.

Last edited by Rhun; 06-16-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 AM
Fuse Member

Internet is back up, one thing that was interesting to me was the reaction of the captain of that ship. It's been a while since I read that part but, it really makes me wonder if Jaqen Haqar and Sirio Forel are the same person and either he still is the first sword of Bravos, or the king or whatever himself. It has something to do with the Iron bank I'm sure, but what I dunno.

edit - Stannis' arrival and decimation of the wildlings was a bit anti-climactic for me, was hoping for a better battle, but whatever.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Fuse Member

Ok one final note to add...

Extremely disappointing that they didn't add Tyrion saying something about Lannisters not shitting gold after he kills Tywin. They really fucked that up, cause holy shit martin writes some hilarious stuff sometimes.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
He never says that in book. He only thinks it. I assume he will say it next season. Also jojen is assumed to be dead in the books because he goes off and is never heard from again and its assumed he died but no one wants to tell bran. This is an acceleration in to part of A feast for crows. I haven't actually seen the last two episodes yet because I am still in Greece but I have just been reading about it. Still disappointed it didn't end with the scene I wanted it to but I guess it will be OK.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Fuse Member

Great season finale. I really thought Tyrion was going to die. Loved how they handled the Lannister story. Wonder how Cersei will react when she finds out Jamie freed Tyrion.

Arya's story was great. Love how much of a cold-blooded killer she's turning into, although it was also a little sad to see her treat the Hound like that after all he's done for her.

I agree about the Stannis/Wildling scene being anti-climactic. It all happened too fast, imo.

Bran's story continues to get stranger and stranger. I have no idea where they're going with it, but it seems like at some point Bran will be warging Dany's lost dragon. Also, did anyone else think the CG skeletons looked out of place and not very well done? It was *really* obvious that they were CG -- as opposed to the dragons, for example, which have always looked really great.

Overall great ending. As usual, will be a long 9 months until next season.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Fuse Member

I liked Tyrion killing his dad getting a little redemption for himself after being pretty much (put in every situation by his father hoping he would be dead)

ya stannis attack on the wildlings I didn't understand, maybe 400 the first night were were the other 9600 to fight stannis 300-400 knights. Looks like a slaughter of 5 sheep by armed men on horseback.

Brans story I think is going to be neat, tbh I think he will be rooted to that tree right beside that oldman for a while.

Arya story was amazing love how she finally used her Iron coin and by saying the line automatically earned her respect/cabinspace/a ride.

My thoughts on Arya/Hound was, she was always one to reason with people as to why they should not be lingering in pain, and usually the person in "need" of a swift death are trying to talk/linger. ( and if I am right usually the Hound was the one who ended up killing the person saving their agony)

With the hound he is begging her to end his pain swiftly, but she removed his name from her list and is unable to just kill him. Ever since she met her fellow assassin friend Jaqen H'ghar she almost used the same rules to her killing(must be on a list//save people=killpeople0. the only one that I remember at this time she killed who wasn't on any list was that fat boy early in the series. I might be wrong maybe 2 people.

in season 7 I forsee the Hound jumping from a cliff to land on the dragon bran is warg'd to help Jon snow, kill the mountain 2.0 if that crazy wackjob maeser gets him standing again. Oberyns a bad ass poisoning his blades.

Last edited by Fusa; 06-16-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Fuse Member

Don't remember if it's been said in this thread but Valar Morghulis means "All men must die" and the captains reply, Valar Dohaeris means "all men must serve" both in Valyrian.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 PM

The show has put much more emphasis on who Jon Snow's mother is...Some good theories out there. There's no better character portrayal than Charles Dance as Tywin. He will be missed!

Doesn't Arya put Needle through his heart in the books? It's been year since I've read them...

I too, was a bit underwhelmed by the happenings North of the wall. The books state Mance's army to be massive (100,000+), however undisciplined, which enabled Stannis' knights to crush them. However in the show, Stannis' army looked exponentially larger than the wildlings' forces!!

All in all, I really enjoy how the show has progressed. I think Martin realized the Greyjoy Arc is unappealing, so he made their presence in the show modest at best. I personally love the Martell arc, maybe next season?!

Last edited by McGrupp; 06-16-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
See I don't think the show has put enough emphasis on Jon's parentage. The one thing I heard was left out of the finally (well the one thing I will talk about since it isn't a huge spoiler) is the absence of Tysha.

Unfortunately most show watchers probably barely remember it so I'll bring it back up. We learn early on that tyrion was indeed once married to a woman he loved very much. Tysha. She was about to be raped and tyrion saved her and they fell in love. His father finds out and has all the men at his camp have sex with her, leaving a silver, ultimately having tyrion do the same at the end. Tywin tells him that she was a common whore and apparently her willingness to do this proves it. Tyrion is obviously heartbroken.

BUT in the books, when Jamie releases tyron he reveals that tysha was indeed not a whore. She actually loved tyrion. His father had all those men rape her one after another in front of him, ultimately having tyron rape her last. This is what leads tyrion to go confront his father and ultimately kill him.

Makes a lot more sense to me and adds a lot of tragedy to tyrion. Dad they left that out.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Fuse Member

defiantly adds a lot more tragedy to Tyrion, but as a show watcher only, I think there was "MORE" then enough motive for him to kill his father.