Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruci View Post
Back at the beginning of the soda pop crusade in schools, me and my buddies ran a business out of our lockers at school. We had wire rolling racks in our lockers with different brands. Kids could find us either in between classes or in the lunch room and pay $1/can. We ended up making a few hundred dollars each before that venture was shut down.
That's awesome. Why'd they shut you down?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
That's awesome. Why'd they shut you down?
A couple guys got a little cocky and started selling too much too quickly. There was was a fairly large standing crowd around where they sat at the beginning of every lunch. After about a week a few of that the monitors started to notice. The guy that came down on us was one of the typical intimidating gym coach types (some of his antics included using a ruler to make sure hair isn't too long and inspecting the tags of your shirt to make sure they are the official brand...) Anywho, he threatened suspension and that was enough to dissuade us from selling too openly. Suspension probably would have been unlikely but I'm sure there is something in the rules about students operating a business on campus. I've heard of schools not caring that students do that just as long as it is off of school property (like out on the sidewalk), but we weren't an open campus and weren't allowed outside. We tried to keep up the locker sales but they weren't profitable enough to be worth our time so we gave it up soon after.

Also, loved the calculator stories. My grades suffered (relatively) bad when I got myself one of those calcs. The big game in my school was Plantation...(homogenous Catholic school, go figure)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM
GoL Member

Young entrepreneurship at its best!

I ran a online MTG business through AOL starting in 7th grade buying/selling/trading through email/chatrooms there which funded me through high school and part of my college tuition. This was before ebay so I could get away with hustling hard and it opened my eyes to the power of the internet where I could deal internationally. Once ebay took over and competition flooded in I stopped so it only lasted until I got to high school. However, the best part about it is I kept a lot of cards for nostalgia, and 15 years later they are rolling stronger than ever before.

My TI-83 got me through many dull moments, Tetris was my go to.