Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
GoL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronthor View Post
How many here are going to actively play Star Wars?
I'm still lurking around... waiting on the star wars drop. I'll be there.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Fuse Member

Anyone else invited to the beta this weekend (7-10th)?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Officer

not me damn u asano!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
Anyone else invited to the beta this weekend (7-10th)?
Yep, got my invite this afternoon.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Fuse Member

Played a Bounty Hunter till level 10. Pretty good game, but I'm afraid it's not the WoW-killer everyone was hoping for. Obviously 10 levels is not very much to judge the game by -- maybe 6 hours or so (it's much slower paced than WoW). But Rift felt much more impressive and exciting in the early game than SWtoR has so far. Rift's graphics are much better, for example -- awe inspiring at times. SW is pretty disappointing in that regard.

The gameplay is pretty fun. Plenty of abilities and cooldowns to manage, even early on. The quests are fairly interesting too. Very story driven and immersive -- not your typical "go here and kill X enemies" or "go there and gather Y things". In fact, I think I've only had a couple gathering quests so far. The voice acting is all really well done. Clearly, the story is the big draw in this game, and so far, it's pretty good.

Overall, I give it a solid B grade. The graphics and overall feel of the game leave much to be desired, but the gameplay works, servers seem quite stable, and the story-driven approach is novel enough to stick with it to see what the end-game is like.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Fuse Member

I agree. I've got a level 11 Sith Assassin. The starting areas do a pretty good job of getting you used to the game. There is definitely an emphasis on the story, and I think it's a cool change from the normal "WoW"-style mmo.

There's so much interaction with NPCs which is a plus in my book. They had to have spent so much time with the voice overs, because every bit of dialogue so far has been spoken.

I've done 3 "heroic" quests. The first 2 were easily doable with my companion around level 8. The 3rd required a full party as the Mandalorian elites fucking rape. I ran the first Empire Flashpoint - Black Talon earlier at level 10. It was pretty solid, neat to see everyone in the group participate in the story line that takes place. I think it took us about an hour to complete. None of the bosses were hard, save for the "bonus" boss that actually required someone to heal throughout the fight.

My only gripes so far have to be the advanced class change, since you would expect something popping up telling you where to go. It took me about 30 minutes of running around to find the starting point for the change.

I'd be playing more, but right now no one can log in who is in Drumond Kass (10+ zone).
Old 10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Officer

i think most of the people who want to play this are looking forward to the extreme amount of lore they can pump into this. i know that i'm looking forward the most to seeing all the lore much more than any other game.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Fuse Member

ToR will likely be a really good single-player MMO... which is a weird thing to say. Grouping is kinda odd given the story-driven nature of quests/dungeons. Rolling to pick the next dialog option is just odd, especially since there are consequences which may not line up with your own character.

They also phase your class quest line in an interesting way. When you enter a class-specific phase, you "own" it, so that you're the only class in there. If you're grouped with different classes, they can join you. So if Kz and I are both playing BHs, for example, we'll always end up in separate phases. Kinda sucks.

As impressive and immersive as all the voice acting is, it gets old fast the second time through the game. I started playing an Imperial Agent and sitting through all the npc dialog for the same quests was pretty boring. Eventually you just start skipping it all, at which point having to pick dialog options just becomes a nuisance, moreso than in games like WoW/Rift/etc. So it's fun the first time around, but alts will be slow and boring.

The Agent was fun though. One aspect of combat they've added is the ability to take cover behind certain parts of the terrain. You duck behind boxes, etc to avoid enemy fire, peak out in between shots, and then duck behind them again. It's entertaining. The Agent basically takes cover and plays the sniper, throwing flash grenades to incapacitate groups. Kinda neat.

Don't think I'll get a chance to play tomorrow. Definitely glad I didn't pre-order the CE.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Fuse Member

From what we gathered and talked about for months now is coming to pass from what you guys are saying. I think with this game Wow will have more competition cause it's another game out there to play. Even if it's like wow in ways. From what it looks like I would enjoy playing it solo to level most likely just cause of how you build your character in this game. I would deal with grouping/phasing etc to group with friends tho if I wanted to group. From their plans on character making you spend alot of time on your character with story/leveling that you probably wouldn't want a 2nd toon. With wow you could power a toon so fast it's easy to have many toons. They claim they will have endgame, warzones, ship fights and other things at launch. Remember when Wow released there wasn't much endgame to start or anything really at max level till they ironed out MC and added Bgs.

Wow right now is boring. It always happens at this time of year, summers end. I just don't see any excitement about 4.3 from guildies or friends out of guild. I had high hopes for cataclysm, but from the actual outcome I can't help but be disapointed overall. Blizzard purposely made 10's harder than 25's to block 10 guilds. From less loot to mobs having the same hp on 10 as 25. Just takes 10 guilds longer loot wise and mob same hp just not able to kill things. Just takes the wind out of my sails cause I always enjoy competing in any shape or form. When there isn't a level playing field that I can't help but say to myself what's the point. It's like starcraft where you are playing at 70% while others have it at 30%, it's dumb. This bugs me alot cause Blizzard promised during beta that everything would be even. That didn't last long. Moving on...

It's nice to see the excitement for new stuff cause the excitement for Wow just isn't there right now. Makes me want to stop playing right now. Unsure if I want to jump into Starwars or Diablo3 just cause I rather make the transition with a group or entire guild. With Diablo3 coming out half the guild wants that, some want Star wars, while others are just like bleh and don't care about a new game.

So i'm on the fence....

Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Fuse Member

New trailer today

Signs of war trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBHGIDlM1vM

Euro release bumped up to same day as north american release date

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/14/st...-20-in-europe/