Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Fuse Member

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08...st-nexts-beta/

Beta sign up.
https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration

Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Fuse Member

You've been looking forward to EQN for a while now Yoox. What'd you think of today's preview?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogan View Post
You've been looking forward to EQN for a while now Yoox. What'd you think of today's preview?
I like what I saw.

Destructible environments I think will change so much about the game to keep players on their toes constantly to watch terrain that is constantly changing around you. I think both for pvp & pve it will make for very interesting ramifications. Think Akir fight and all the movement then think monsters breaking things around you. Or breaking apart wsg. A hole in the middle of the WSG tunnel would suck. I want to see how this will work out in dungeons and other areas that aren't wide open.

Quote:
Players will occasionally be prevented from destroying things, Georgeson says, because otherwise "player cities would become player parking lots." Monsters, however, can and will show up to wreak havoc, and left unchecked, they can do plenty of damage to player settlements. A dragon, for instance, may come in and knock a castle wall down, necessitating repairs.
Very interested in the crafting/building system they plan to provide players with. How deep will building castles and stuff go. You can flag an area that is yours and you can add people to help build if you like. How complex will building be if you have say 100 people building in an area for 2 months like they said. If something takes a lot of people to build than you must be building whole towns and big type stuff. I don't think you can destroy flagged area's so question is can you build in non flag areas and obviously destroy what's built will keep things interesting if so. Maybe there will be timers and when you can destroy stuff with players and maybe monsters do as they please when they please. How much freedom and power you have to build the world and craft is a big interest for me.

Quote:
For EverQuest lifers, of course, many of the elements that have defined the series over the years will still be in place.
Interested in seeing how much of this is true and how it holds up under the new exciting changes. I can see a massive fight in lower guk for goods/loot while so much is happening all around you at the sametime. So many good memories and even some bad with arguing and fighting with other players over pretty much everything from camping spawn sites for certain mobs for loot to many other things. Then it spilling into forums. WW3 almost broke out with the germans over a raid zone in 2001 I believe it was, one of those early 2000's years.

Quote:
Fans can build landmarks; and if the developers like them enough, they will be put in the game.
Sounds like they want help to finish the game faster by doing this. Which i'm fine with if people want to help then go ahead. Also fine with people building and being able to put their builds up for sale. Sounds like win win for players and developers. If I find myself with free time I might try this. I think i'll be playing the game for all the new fun before doing any kind of "job part" if it turned into feeling like that cause I was trying to make money. That's all optional tho and I think I would really enjoy building so if I could make a little money for that I don't see why not, win win. I wonder how that fits into the game later on, make a castle tower then put it up for sale, then that person can perma plant that tower over and over, wonder how that will effect things.

Quote:
Having been in development for more than four years now, EverQuest Next has been something of a mystery to fans, to the point that it's been regarded by some as vaporware. Now that SOE has taken off the wraps, it's clear that they have some very interesting ideas for the MMORPG space. With World of Warcraft on the decline and no clear successor ready to take its place as the dominant MMO of the generation, the time is ripe for a new MMORPG to rise up. It's still early, but EverQuest Next has at least established itself as a strong contender for that position; a worthy comeback for one of the genre's founders.
I'm interesting in seeing something *NEW*. We have played these games way to much to enjoy them for an extended period of time. If this turns out to have many options that we haven't seen in mmo's I think it will be fresh and very fun.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Fuse Member

https://www.everquestnext.com/

Going to keep an eye on what tidbits they drop us. Probably check up on the site every few weeks. Signed up for beta, see if I get in. I'm sure some casual people will get in long before I get invited. Oh wait i'm currently casual, forgot.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Fuse Member

I didn't get to read all the information yet. But I think it's building stuff in landmark and moving it over to next. Be back tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kz View Post
so far from what ive seen it looks avg. ill still check it out but im not overly impressed.
Kz said this as soon as he saw the class abilities that seemed or are the same as other mmo's. I think it's a little quick to dismiss a game over that tho imo. I think from what I see this game will allow so much stuff to happen around you that it won't feel like a old mmo that's been done over. I'm impressed with what I saw and look forward to whats to come from this.

I remember coming off my EQ high when things became stale. With people and dev's from EQ moving over to wow. With them taking most fun things from EQ and making this ultimate game that raiders and casuals loved for a long time. I was a little worried moving from EQ to wow cause raiding seemed so big scale in EQ to move to a 40 man raid in wow. Turned out ok. Of course there are going to be some similar things in a new mmo. I like where sony's head is at with this one trying to add lots of new things along with adding old elements like raiding. I also remember when things started to repeat themselves in EQ and Blizzard taking advantage of that bascally stealing the fanbase and giving us mostly what we wanted. Blizzard as been stale for a while with not much new to add to their game now. Huge declines in their base cause people are bored of the same stuff.

I think where sony is trying to go with this game is the right move for our type of player to see something new that not only they have to refresh from time to time with xpacs but we can refresh ourselves with being able to build and destroy whats around us. It will make things interesting. I think wildstar is so similar to old stuff it will probably get boring fast like rift and the other stuff that seems so much the same as wow. I still have hopes for eso cause it's a little different and I loved skyrim. I still plan on playing eso. Possibly even trying wildstar but not as excited about it as the possibility of how fun EQN could turn out to be. We shall see.

Kz btw sometimes you make no sense to me! How can you dismiss a game cause you saw whirlwind and blink bascally but you are in a guild for wildstar before it's released and looks like wow!

Old 08-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Officer

i didn't dismiss the game, it gfx definitely look good and a lot of aspects are prolly going to be good. its gonna have to be tested out to see if i enjoy it or not. i do like SOE crafting systems and what not so ill be interested to see how much i do like this game and its actually further along that i thought it would be.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Officer

just gonna copy paste the rundown one of CND members posted

- They have gotten much more power out of the ps2 engine when I play it makes me laugh at gw2 unreach engine but yea I would have prefered a inhouse engine like wildstars.
- There are no levels in EverQuest Next. Progression is based on tiers and horizontal gameplay. There are 40 classes to “obtain,” and each is advanced individually once obtained.
-Player stats are called attributes. Equipment will not provide attributes. Additional attributes will be extremely rare and will require tremendous effort to modify. All attributes will have impactful meaning for all classes.
- Discovering new classes will occur at varying rates and occur through quest type events and may be restricted by player behavior and the impact of emergent AI.
- Armor (and the ability to craft intricate armor components) will be a major form of character customization, and many custom items will be recognizable on sight.
- The ability hotbar will have a maximum of 4 weapon skills and 4 class skills at any given time.
- Each class comes with 4 class specific skills.
- Crafting skill will not be advanced by repeatedly making the same item over and over.
- Crafting components remain useful based on their properties, not on a crafting level.
- Rallying Calls (public quests) will be ongoing until players on a specific server complete each stage.
- Player housing will be in game, but no details are available yet.
- There are at least 6 starting races: High Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Kerra, Dwarf and Ogre – there will be more, but as of yet unannounced.
- Old school style mage pets are in EverQuest Next
- Gear system provides 5 visual slots (chest, back, etc.), but each slot is made up of individual components that may also be swapped out.
- Homage will be paid to the EverQuest franchise through locations, armor – an example used was the Flowing Black Robe.
- Families of armor can alter your look – not just cloaks, but quivers, etc.
- Exploration will yield a variety of useful items: i.e. resources, recipes, collections, etc.
- Storylines will be important, the world will evolve, its occupants will be relatable. In short, “everything matters.”
- Parts of the environment that are destroyed will be regenerated over time, the speed of which will be determined by population and the extent of the damage done.
- Gravity will be deadly – every action has a consequence, the same with unsafe travel.
The world is vast; travel will require a time investment and a money investment.

- IMO EQN could be the next half life or wc or of course minecraft the next game that is great on its own but gets catapulted in terms of depth and massiveness buy the bright minds of its community.
- The demo shown in the EQN debut was more of a tech demo; no enemy pathing, some were not fighting back.
- The land mass shown in videos may not be known as Antonica
- No zones, the world will be seamless
- Oceans are not in game yet, though the engine is capable of rendering fluids.
- Mining tunnels is in game and functions currently.
- Class progress can be limited by choice – a player cannot pursue Paladin and Shadow - - Knights paths, for instance.
- Rangers have been confirmed as a class.
- Bows are a weapon type.
- Combat will not be handled via auto-attack. Similar to NeverWinter combat, but more advanced.
- Crafting comparable to that of Star Wars Galaxies, but more advanced.
- There is no experience granted for killing mobs, no grinding. Combat and questing is handled as a series of objectives.
- There are more than two factions in the game, not simply good v. evil, Freeport v. Qeynos, etc.
- The game will be heavily gear dependent and crafted and dropped items will be of comparable value.
- Players can choose the style of their look – giant shoulderpads or not, scantly clad to Joan of Arc.
- Items have a sub component system allowing further customization of a specific armor set.
- All items will be “Bind on Equip” (or pickup, the author is unclear).
- Multiple servers with varying rule sets are possible, but undetermined at this point.

Seeing a few contradictions in these lists from interviews etc. wtb more infos!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Fuse Member

If I decided to play this I will make my gear always look like a bag of shit, and my char's name will be JoeDirt
Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kz View Post
just gonna copy paste the rundown one of CND members posted ...
Wow, it's sounding even better after reading those notes. Definitely sounding like it could be the major shift in MMOs that lots of us have been begging for.