Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Fuse Member

Yeah, the bit with Carlton and Damon was kinda funny, but overall that was a pretty pointless show. Nobody had anything worthwhile to say. Judging by Matthew Fox's response, I'm pretty sure none of the actors will be allowed to say anything specific about the show's story for quite some time. I almost wish I didn't see it, b/c it killed my post-finale high.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
Jimmy Kimmel is gay and faggot. That whole thing was dumb.

As for the actually finally, I think I liked it. I was much more satisfied with it as an ending than BSG. I think it makes sense in context to the show, and was an appropriate ending. My only issue is that there were MANY things that just got kinda left out. I don't totally mind it, especially if their explainations would have been lame, but they (writers of show) made it sound like no stone would be left unturned by the time it was all over. So in that sense, I was left a little wanting. Overall, I am good with it. Melissa on the other hand, disappointed.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 AM
GoL Member

Loved the ending. Very emotionally charged ending for all these characters that we've seen throughout the years go through hell in service to the island, Jacob, each other, and trying to find themselves and their purpose in life.

In the end the whole "live together die alone theme" was swung in the other direction as we really saw some redemption in all these characters at the end being together.

I was definitely a bit dissatisfied with them not answering a lot of important questions, but I'm not sure how they could of done what I wanted within the 2:30 they had and did they ending they picked as well. A one liner like the answer about the whispers would not of done it for me. It hit home that it definitely was also a character based show and I enjoyed what the characters brought to it a lot more than I expected when I first started watching and just concerned about the mystery of the island.

I do feel however, (crossing fingers for the dvd extras) they eventually address a lot of the answered questions of the mythology for the fan base to give a fitting close to that side of the lost journey.

Its too bad they couldn't do two finales, one for the mythology and one for the characters. What's nice about it is that there's so much room for interpretation and I need to rewatch the series and the ending again to see it in its entirety after knowing how it ends.

Last edited by Orlandin; 05-24-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Fuse Member

Yoox, The smoke monster discreption is almost best compaired to as Agent Smith in the matrix.

The man in black was "stuck" in his natural body, but when knocked out and thrown into the light everything that was "good" is no longer and its just a nightmare manifstation of the man in black who's free to roam/take on who ever is dead on the island.

Its almost as if jacob unlocked the true potenital in the man in black.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Fuse Member

I was kind of hoping jack would "plug the hole" (whatever the hell that was) and hurley would be sitting there, and a giant cloud of black smoke would come shooting out. Later we would see jack and hurley talking, and jack would be like "I did my part, now I want to go home" and hurley would be like "dude, you know I can't let you do that".
Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Fuse Member

Here is the other thing I keep reading today that is also wrong. They weren't dead as soon as they got to the island. They all EVENTUALLY die. Jacks dad says so, "your time on the island was the happiest time of your lives." the problem with that is, that means the ending, the whole side-universe has NOTHING to do with the plot of the show/island. The island was just this shared experience, that when they died "united" them. It that sense, I don't actually know if I liked the ending.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rursusferre View Post
Here is the other thing I keep reading today that is also wrong. They weren't dead as soon as they got to the island. They all EVENTUALLY die. Jacks dad says so, "your time on the island was the happiest time of your lives." the problem with that is, that means the ending, the whole side-universe has NOTHING to do with the plot of the show/island. The island was just this shared experience, that when they died "united" them. It that sense, I don't actually know if I liked the ending.
I liked the ending. I enjoyed the show. We knew they wouldn't answer everything. I went into it knowing this would be the last time this show would be on. Enjoyed lost and it will be missed. I kinda did the same for BSG. If you expect all the answers you will only become mad and be disapointed with parts of it. I think they did a good job finishing it up, all good things come to an end.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Infidel

Fucking Boon.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Fuse Member

Dunno if any of you watched the recap episode beforehand, but in it Carlton and Damon said that Jacob and Smokey were -- quote -- Gods -- unquote. I thought that was interesting since I hadn't heard it confirmed before. So you can almost explain them, the mother, and almost everything else island-related with your own god-related beliefs. Kinda of an easy way out for the writers, I suppose, but it does provide some kind of closure to those questions.

BTW, if you didn't catch JKL afterwards, here's a video of the first 5 mins w/ Matthew Fox, which was the only worthwhile moment of the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXlLNWRULo

I'd bet money that the writers, Fox, and JKL were all in on that "theory" -- it was a staged/planned release.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Fuse Member

I liked the final episode. I was ready for disappointment, but in the end I feel satisfied.

To know that the entire series of events that happened on the island was real made me very happy. To know that Hugo and Ben carried on the "mission" of the island for an indefinite period of time is really cool to me.

I thought that it was clever of the writers to make the island, the perceived purgatory, reality. And the flash-sideways, the perceived reality, purgatory (or something similar). I really didn't come close to seeing that one before hand.

I thought that it was really interesting that almost none of the actors on the show knew shit about the intricacies of the plot. The after show was intriguing just for the fact that Harold Perrineu, Michael, was there. You'd think that if there was any hard feelings he wouldn't be there. The GF told me she read that the only cast member that was invited and turned down the show all together was Echo.

Rambling thoughts ramble.....I'll try to make a concise post soon.

Unfortunately I already had this exact picture tattooed on my chest, but this shirt is very useful in colder weather.