Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Fuse Member

I would think the same thing (that the island is purgatory) but the writers came right out and denied it from the very beginning. It was one of the first theories about the island ever since S1, actually. There are plenty of quotes from Lindelof and Abrams flat out denying it on several occasions over the years:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Purg...ebunked_theory)
http://www.losttvfans.com/page/Purgatory
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
When richard was still chained up and smokey was freeing him, I was kinda expecting smokey to say "my name is Jacob". Just to find out Richard had been fucked with all along. I am curious about the "pre-Richard" island people too, now. I am curious about these "choices" and wonder why they were all dead.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Fuse Member

I wonder how smokey lost his old body. When oceanic 815 crashed on the island did he still have the body we see back when Richard first arrived or had he already lost that body? And if he had already lost that body, then whose form did he take before Locke?

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but did we ever come to explanation for how people saw people who shouldn't have been on the island like walt - I can't remember if it was Hurley or someone else that saw walt at some point after he was off the island. Didn't we come to the conclusion that Smokey could only take the form of people who arrived on the island already dead?

P.S. I'm at a computer lab on campus between classes and someone just farted really, really loud. I laughed.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucholza View Post
Right, but couldn't that be purgatory still? Purgatory is a place where you wait and be judged for your sins and you either redeem yourself or end up going to hell. Couldn't keeping Smokey from leaving the island be their test? Richard begged the priest for forgiveness for the murder he committed and the priest told him he wouldn't give him absolution and that Richard would have to earn it himself through penance, but that he wouldn't live long enough for that to happen. Then Jacob brings Richard to the island and give him the "gift" of living "forever". Then Isabella shows up and tells Hurley that they have to stop Smokey from leaving or else they'll be going to Hell.
Jacob did say to Richard that "whatever you did before doesn't matter, what you do from this point on does".

What i think is, and i have come to the same conclusion long ago even tho they said it wasn't that the island is purgatory. Those that fail and die on the island go to hell(I could be wrong but i don't think i have seen a ghost of someone that actually died on the island, have we?). The spirits seen on the island are guides trying to keep their loved ones on the path to heaven(notice Richard about to give in and Isabella keeping him from doing that, with Hugo's help of course). Think about it, Jacob says we must keep the darkness on the island or else it will consume the world. So maybe that is the test of purgatory, notice throughout all stories many people go to hell but many few go to heaven. So maybe the person that takes Jacob's place is allowed passage to heaven. Or i could be totally wrong but this is how the show is currently protraying it.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rursusferre View Post
When richard was still chained up and smokey was freeing him, I was kinda expecting smokey to say "my name is Jacob". Just to find out Richard had been fucked with all along. I am curious about the "pre-Richard" island people too, now. I am curious about these "choices" and wonder why they were all dead.
The only reason that Smokey didn't kill Richard also is cause he used him in his first attempt to have Jacob killed.

So let me get this straight since Smokey used Richard. Was Isabella really Smokey when she looked alive on the island and tryed to help Richard? Then walked up the stairs of the boat and sounded like she met with a excruciating painfull dead. I'm guessing it had to be Smokey just trying to further convince Richard to kill Jacob cause Isabella was already dead.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucholza View Post
I wonder how smokey lost his old body. When oceanic 815 crashed on the island did he still have the body we see back when Richard first arrived or had he already lost that body? And if he had already lost that body, then whose form did he take before Locke?

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but did we ever come to explanation for how people saw people who shouldn't have been on the island like walt - I can't remember if it was Hurley or someone else that saw walt at some point after he was off the island. Didn't we come to the conclusion that Smokey could only take the form of people who arrived on the island already dead?

P.S. I'm at a computer lab on campus between classes and someone just farted really, really loud. I laughed.
I'm alittle confused too about the Smokey body snatching changing thing cause of what happened on the boat with Isabella.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via ICQ to Onion Send a message via AIM to Onion Send a message via MSN to Onion
Not sure how to explain the Isabella being on the island part.

I thought it was really interesting how Jacob first interacted with Richard. I felt like we were seeing a completely different person when he attacked Richard and then took him to the sea and attempted to drown him. It's almost like Richard turned Jacob into the peaceful person we came to know and that the Others followed.

I think it's kind of cool to see that Jacob had never really thought of it the way Richard did when he says "If you don't, he will" when Jacob ask him "Why should I tell them what to do, that would defeat the purpose."

Also this confirmed our suspicions that Jacob brought people to the island to show that people are not all corruptable, even though he had failed with everyone so far until Oceanic 815.

I don't think that the island is related to hell at all, I believe it is exactly as Jacob described it: the thing stopping the darkness from overtaking the world. I believe it's a type of prison designed to hold smokey. Smokey calls it hell because that's what it is to him, and Richard thought it was hell initially because what else could spawn something as terrible as the black smoke.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Fuse Member

I don't think the island is hell, purgatory or anything of that nature. Although I'm not an expert I don't think you can drive a submarine, freighter, or anything else to either of these places.

My anger is growing by the episode. Maybe I'm just in a negative mindset to insulate myself from what I see as inevitable disappointment, but these episodes all feel like filler to me and not progress. This was what? The 9th episode before the finale? And we got to see Richard's past, but the first half hour did nothing to progress the storyline.

Unfortunately I already had this exact picture tattooed on my chest, but this shirt is very useful in colder weather.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
Yep, I said the same thing to Melissa. It was nice to learn about Richard, but 80% of the episode, if not more, didn't do more for the overall story. They really are running out of time, unless they plan on really just rattling everything off in one episode.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Fuse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rursusferre View Post
Yep, I said the same thing to Melissa. It was nice to learn about Richard, but 80% of the episode, if not more, didn't do more for the overall story. They really are running out of time, unless they plan on really just rattling everything off in one episode.
It probably won't even be an episode. Just a black screen with white text in bullet points giving off the facts and diagrams made in MS paint. This is where stag has really been all these years.