Gentlemen of Leisure

Go Back   Gentlemen of Leisure > Public Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Fuse Member

Wildstar launched today (6-3-14)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/06...dup/#continued

Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Fuse Member

I picked this up last night against my better judgement and all logic. Was watching people stream it over the weekend during the headstart.

Looks ok -- about what we all expected as a wow clone. (I really don't understand those people saying it's not a clone because it fundamentally is.) The mob telegraphing looks interesting, so I'll give it that. But otherwise questing looks grindy and not all that interesting -- just like every other MMO. Raiding seems like it'll be inaccessible to anyone other than very well organized and competent guilds (in other words, not me). The raid fights themselves seem to be a combination of "don't stand in the telegraphed attack" and "everyone interrupt the boss's ability at the same time or we wipe" -- soooo not interested in that. Interrupt-based fights were always the suckiest experience in WoW; I can't imagine why people think it'll be fun as the core mechanic in WS.

So yeah, I don't know why I picked it up. Temporary insanity maybe. But I'll play a bit this week.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Fuse Member

Let us know what you think after you play it some more. Everything just seems so same same as the past decade in the mmo department. Eq next?

Old 06-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Rhun Send a message via MSN to Rhun
Can't decide if I want to try this or not.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Fuse Member

I should be getting a few guest passes in the coming days (whenever they decide to send them out). Will let you guys know so you can try it out before purchasing.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Fuse Member

Got my 7-day guest passes (3). PM me if you want one.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to rursusferre
from what I read asano, the early level quests are very grindy. But every person said that the END game is amazing. They said you reach a point where all of a sudden the quests become amazing and much more complicated. Like, sneak into this factory, steal this item, get out with out being seen, go through this gate, do this, drop off this, get this back. Much more involved than just a "go kill 4 of X" or "bring me back item X"
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Fuse Member

Send a message via AIM to Cruci
What server are you playing on Asano? I'm on Pergo, Exiles with a bunch of my friends. If you don't already have a group you're playing with you're more than welcome over here with us casuals.

I've also got 3 guest passes if anybody wants them.

For what it's worth, the beta gave me the best first impression of mmo since WoW. If you have a solid group of guys to play with I think it'll have some staying power.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM

I'm itching to play a new mmo, please let us know what you think.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Fuse Member

I'm on Thunderfoot (Exiles) at the moment which is a PvE server. No desire to play on a PvP server, but thanks for the offer.

Got to level 9 tonight after ~4 hours. It's pretty slow leveling so far, and tbh, the first impression wasn't great. Not much is very intuitive, but it's getting better the more time I spend on it. I don't think anything will ever beat WoW's character responsiveness of controls, but WS's isn't bad. Definitely better than SWtoR at release. Very similar to Tera. In fact, I'd say the whole game feels really similar to Tera in general.

I haven't gotten into the story at all yet. I intended to read all the quest text, take things slow and get immersed in the story. But there doesn't seem to be much, and it's so easy to skip, even accidentally. So I have no idea what the underlying story is. There's lots of "lore books" that you can click on to read, but fuck that. SWtoR beats it hands down on immersive story/questing. But it's early. Tera didn't hook me on story until maybe level 20, so we'll see.

The servers lagged to hell during prime time -- almost unplayably bad. But it got better as the night wore on. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.